Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Participants FAQ

Q What will it cost me if I am accepted into the program?

You will need to pay for

  • U.S. Government visa processing fees of about USD 350
  • Costs of your travel to your host farm and return home
  • A co-pay amount paid to medical providers if you have medical treatment in the U.S. (emergency room visits only)
  • Program fees to WFE (see Program Fees)

Q Do I have to pay a fee to apply?

No! Unlike other programs, there is no fee for applying to WFE.

Q What will I receive in the program?

In addition to practical training and experience with a U.S. agribusiness and immersion in U.S. culture, you will receive medical insurance (excluding the co-pay).  All participants are paid an amount agreed upon in the DS-7002 (may be subject to deduction of WFE program fee and tax).  The minimum monthly stipend amount is usually US $1200.

Q When can I start? How long before I can travel to my host farm?

The process can take weeks or months before an applicant is accepted and able to travel. WFE accepts applications and makes placements year round. Upon receipt of your complete application, WFE immediately seeks to match you with possible host agribusinesses and sends a copy of your application to each prospective host.  Hosts have the final say as to whether or not to accept you. We explain the process in more detail in our Agriculture Program and Wine Program pages.

Q How long may I stay?

Because of visa restrictions, WFE’s programs are for up to one year. Most General Agriculture programs are for the full 12 months. Wine programs usually last between two and six months.

Q What kind of agribusinesses are in the program? Where are the agribusinesses located?

WFE partners with a wide variety of agribusinesses including swine, dairy, cattle, tropical fruit, grain, ornamental horticulture, vegetables, and greenhouses. WFE works with wineries in California, Oregon, and Washington, and farms across the U.S. from Maine to Florida to Hawaii, providing a range of climate zones and learning experiences.

Q What kind of visa do I need? How do I get the visa?

You will travel on an Exchange Visitor “J” visa. When you and a host have both agreed to a placement, WFE will send by express mail the documents you will need to apply to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate for a “J” visa together with specific instructions.

Q How is WFE financed?

Worldwide Farmers Exchange is financed by program fees and charitable donations.  Fees are paid by participants either directly to WFE or through the host. 

Q What is a “co-operating partner”?

WFE is required by the U.S. State Department to have co-operating partners, when possible, to assist in screening and preparing candidates for visa interviews. WFE will work only through co-­operating partners in some countries, based on their success obtaining visas. Some co-operating partners charge a fee for their services.

Q Where can I get an application form?

Applications and more information can be found on the downloads page.

Hosts FAQ

Q Why should I be a host farmer?

Hosting a young farmer for up to one year will enrich your life and the lives of others. By being a host you will:

  • Learn about other peoples, cultures and countries. Training others is an opportunity for you to learn and develop lifelong relationships with your trainees and interns.
  • Help young people learn farming techniques that they can take home to their farms, families, and communities, while they learn about American life from you.
  • Help other countries learn by sharing sustainable and economic farming practices.

Q Do I need to pay an application fee or a membership fee?

No! Unlike some programs, WFE charges hosts no application or membership fees.

Q What must I provide for my trainee or intern?

At minimum, you must provide the following:

  • Appropriate work-experience training for your trainee or intern.
  • Opportunities for your trainee or intern to have cultural and learning experiences both on and off the farm.
  • Housing with utilities and access to a telephone. (Trainees or interns are responsible for the cost of their calls).
  • A payment for the work product you receive from the trainee or intern during the training on your farm.

Q Who pays for travel to and from my farm? Do trainees and interns have a work visa?

Participants are responsible for their travel arrangements. Trainees and interns come to the U.S. on Exchange Visitor “J” visas. These visas are not work visas, but permit them to learn new farming techniques through work experience with you as part of the training program. WFE handles the visa arrangements.

Q What about medical insurance for my trainee or intern?

Medical insurance for trainees and interns is provided by WFE at no cost to you. This insurance covers illness or injury on or off the farm, but does not replace Workers Compensation coverage, if your state requires it.

Q How is WFE financed?

WFE charges hosts a monthly fee because work-experience training provides some work product benefit to you as the host. From host payments, WFE takes a program fee which pays for medical insurance and WFE’s operating expenses, and uses the remainder to pay monthly stipends to the trainees and interns. In some instances, a trainee or intern may be placed on a host’s payroll and authorize the host to deduct WFE’s program fee from his or her paycheck.

Q How long does the process take? When will my student farmer arrive?

It may take weeks or months before your trainee or intern will arrive. We explain the process in more detail in the Hosts section.

Q How can I get more information and an application form?

You can find out more in the Hosts section. And you can download an application from the downloads page. You can also contact us, as we are happy to answer any questions you may have about the program.