Agriculture Program

Going to the US

Agriculture Program - Going to the US

Worldwide Farmers Exchange (WFE) sponsors year-long practical general agriculture education programs, as well as a separate Viticulture and Enology Program. The steps from application to visa and travel may take two weeks to six months and possibly longer. Placements are very competitive. Get started now!

1. Apply

You can submit your application to WFE by email, mail, or fax. You can find specific instructions for how to submit the form at the end of the application. When submitting the application, include: 

  • Your Application form
  • A copy of the identification page of your passport
  • Any previous J visas you have received
  • Your CV, résumé, and diploma (if applicable)
  • Your Medical Statement form, completed by a licensed physician
  • One passport-size photograph, attached to the Medical Statement form

Please be as detailed as possible when filling out the application. 

2. Placement and Trainee/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002)

Once you are approved by WFE, your application will be sent to prospective hosts. Please understand that your application may not be accepted by any host. If you are accepted, WFE and the host cooperate to prepare a Trainee/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002), which must be signed by you and the host. The DS-7002 is required by the U.S. Government, and is an agreement between you, the host, and WFE to carry out the training outlined in the form. Under U.S. Government regulations, WFE is prohibited from preparing visa documents until both you and the host have signed the DS-7002.

3. Visa Application Documents

When the DS-7002 has been signed by both you and the host, WFE prepares a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (DS-2019) and other documents you need to apply for an Exchange Visitor (J-1) visa. WFE sends these documents to you by international express mail, directly or through an in-country partner.

4. Visa Process

After receiving visa application documents, you must pay the I-901, Fee Remittance for Certain F, J and M Nonimmigrants (currently US$180) required by the U.S. Government. This fee is paid online by credit card and a copy of the receipt must be printed to show to the U.S. consular officer at your interview. When you have paid the I-901 fee, you must complete an Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) to make an appointment for a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The current U.S. visa fee is approximately US$140. Interview appointments are set by the U.S. Consulate, and the decision to grant or refuse you a visa is at the sole discretion of the consular officer.

5. Travel to the U.S.

If you are granted a visa, you must contact WFE to coordinate travel to the host site. Your visa will be for a limited period, but you only need it to enter the United States. Your program dates on your DS-2019 specify the length of time you may remain in the U.S. After completing your program, you have 30 days to leave the U.S. (see Exiting the Program).

WFE charges no program fee until you are granted a visa. In most cases, WFE collects your program fee while you are in the U.S. participating in the program.